1. APPLICATION OF POLICY:
· SHS Personnel, Physicians, Consultants, Students and Visitors shall comply with this policy at all times to protect themselves and others from workplace health and safety incidents.
· All shall Promptly report and/or collaborate with investigations of all workplace health and safety complaints or incidents
· Participate in training regarding this policy and related procedures
2. COMMUNICATION ABOUT WORKPLACE HEALTH AND SAFETY: A key activity includes meeting with employees regularly (i.e. daily huddles, general staff meetings etc.) to discuss the health and safety issues
3. DISABILITY MANAGEMENT: (*Reference: Stoney Nakoda Nation Staff Regulations, 2019)
· Where an employee will be off due to a work-related injury for three (3) or more weeks they must apply for short term disability
· The Stoney Tribal Administration considers Drug and/or Alcohol Dependency as a mental, physical and psychological disability.
4. ELECTRICAL SAFETY: Measures include, among others …….
· Do not overload sockets
· Do not allow wires to project into the walkways where they present a tripping hazard
· Keep electrical panel doors closed at all times
5. EMERGENCY RESPONSE AND RECOVERY SAFETY: All SHS personnel are trained in emergency, fire and disaster safety at the time of orientation.
6. EMPLOYEE AND FAMILY ASSISTANCE: SHS subscribes to the Manulife Employee and Family Assistance program (EFAP) to help SHS personnel deal with personal or job-related problems
7. EMPLOYEES WORKING ALONE: Communicate their whereabouts to their supervisor/colleagues and use the “sign-out board” located at reception desk. Exceptionally, if you have to work late /alone, must let your Manager know why and for how long. Contact your Manager when leaving
8. ERGONOMIC WORKSPACES: An Occupational Therapy assessment will be provided to employees at risk for repetitive strain injuries.
9. EQUIPMENT SAFETY:
· Use any and all equipment according to the manufacturer’s specifications
· Not use any faulty/damaged equipment
· Report any faulty/damaged equipment as soon as possible
10. ENVIRONMENTAL SAFETY: Environmental safety responsibilities of SHS personnel include among others…
· Reporting unsafe working conditions to the Manager and SHS Safety Officer in a timely manner;
· Taking an active part in health and safety training;
· Working safely and cooperating with SHS’ by following health and safety rules.