CONTRAINDICATIONS: Non-complaint client; Possibility of orbital fracture
COMPLICATIONS: Trauma; Infection
CLINICAL ALERTS & SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS/PRECAUTIONS:
- Clinical Alert: If the client complains of acute pain during the irrigation, stop the irrigation, wait a few minutes and then continue. If the pain continues, stop treatment and notify the physician or nurse practitioner.
- Special Considerations/Precautions:
- Maintain asepsis throughout the procedure.
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment throughout the procedure.
- Warm sterile irrigating solution to body temperature (37 oC or 98.6oF).
- When irrigating both eyes, have the client tilt his head toward the side being irrigated to avoid cross-contamination.
- For chemical burns, irrigate each eye for at least 15 minutes with Normal Saline solution.
- Tap water may be used as an irrigant in an emergency situation.