- Assess the situation
- Ask yourself
- Can I put out the fire?
- Can I handle the situation?
- Should the building be evacuated?
- If the answer is no I cannot handle this fire situation
- Proceed to the closest fire alarm pull station and activate the fire alarm immediately
- If you do not have a fire alarm pull station at your location dial 403 – 932 – 2222
- Supply operator with all pertinent information and alarm number for the location
- The alarm number is the address to your location. Each of the Stoney health service locations has their own specific number which you can find on the cover of the red emergency code book and on the telephone receiver.
STONEY HEALTH SERVICES – 5272
BEARSPAW YOUTH SERVICES – 5278 X 1
HEADSTART – 5257
TURNING POINT – 5267 X 3
OPTOMETRY / HARM REDUCTION TRAILER – 5251 X 1
- Once the fire alarm has been activated follow code green evacuation procedures
- Remain calm.
- Proceed immediately to the nearest exit. Close doors as you leave. Do not lock doors behind you. Assist anyone who may require help to leave the building.
- Proceed to your designated Muster Point.
- Do a head count to identify any persons suspected of being left behind. This will be done by the site manager, Safety Officer or designated Emergency Response Coordinator
- Stay at Muster Point until ‘ALL CLEAR’ is given.
Note: No staff member is to leave a SHS site Muster Point during an emergency response without authorization. All personnel will remain until everyone is accounted for and the order is given to leave, move back into SHS site or into the Stoney Tribal Association (STA) building, as the case may be.
- Yes I can deal with this situation
- Remain calm
- Remove persons in immediate danger to a safer area
- Call “code red” giving specific location repeating slowly and clearly 3 times using the page button on the right side of the telephone console or dial 501
- When a code red is called over the phone system
- Management, the safety officer or designate will call 403-932-2222 and let emergency services know of the fire situation, location and all other pertinent information. at this time the fire department will be dispatched by the emergency services.
- When the fire alarm is activated
- An automatic message is sent to the monitoring center who then will contact emergency services at which time the fire department will be dispatched.
- Only after a code has been called:
- Fight fire using a fire extinguisher
- Make sure that:
- You have a clear escape route
- You are confident in the safe use of a fire extinguisher